In, 1825, the Goodwill Fire Engine was built by the employees of Old Allegheny Borough now known as the Northside of Pittsburgh. It was designed along the lines of the Pat Lyon. An intake connection was added to enable it to draft water from any available source. Folding handles were incorporated to move along the narrow streets. Both the Goodwill and the Pat Lyon were used by the Pittsburgh Volunteer Fire Department and were used to fight the Great Fire of April 5, 1845. They were used until 1854 when they were replaced by steam pumpers. They were then sold to the Pat Lyon Hose Co. and the Goodwill Hose Co., both of Greensburg. Deterioration caused their eventual retirement and replacement with updated equipment.
©2017 Greensburg Volunteer Fire Department